Support Organizations for
To learn about the Psychiatric Survivor Movement, contact:updated: May 26, 2004 top
- Center for the Study of Psychiatry: www.breggin.com
- 101 East State Street, PMB 112
Ithaca, New York 14850-5543
Phone: 607 272 5328
Fax: 607 272 5329
The Center was founded in 1971 as a nonprofit research and educational network concerned with the impact of psychiatry upon individual well-being, personal freedom, and family and community values. (Address update, May 2004)
- Halcion Victims Alliance
- PO Box 8943, Newport Beach, CA 92658-8943
- Hearing Voices Network: www.hearing-voices.org
- 91 Oldham Street
M4 1LW, GREAT BRITAIN
Tel: 0161 834 5768
For more information on hearing voices.
- Ideas Unlimited
- 16708 Fillmore Road, Nashville, IL 62263; (618) 327-8732.
Provides information on eldercare.
- The Institute for the Study of Human Resilience.: www.bu.edu/resilience/
- "Vision: People facing significant life challenges (such as serious illness, trauma, disability, or disadvantage) are resilient and can significantly improve the healing process when they have access to knowledge, self-help resources, skilled professionals, sustaining environments, and social justice."
- National Association for Rights Protection and Advocacy (NARPA): www.narpa.org
- 587 Marshall Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55102
- National Association of Electroshock Survivors,
- Attn: Dianna Loper & Doug Cameron, Founders, P.O. Box 1426, Giddings, TX 78942. Phone: (409) 542-6049. (Updated address May 2004)
- National Empowerment Center (NEC),: www.power2u.org
- 20 Ballard Road, Lawrence, MA 01843-1018; (800) POWER-2-U
NEC may also help you locate resources in your community.
- S.T.O.P. Abuse Network.
584 Castro #288, San Francisco, CA 94114
- Young psychiatric survivors. (May 2004 -- not sure if this publisher is still in business....)
- Support Coalition International / Mind Freedom.org: www.mindfreedom.org
- PO Box 11284, Eugene, OR 97440 USA
Support Coalition International's quarterly journal (Mind Freedom Journal) comes free with membership: Minimum donation for journal: $35 per year ($20 per year low income).
- Tranquilizer Users Recovery Network (TURN): www.benzodiazepines.cc/turn.htm
- Attn: Sandra Jacobs, Founder, 228 B South Cedros Avenue, Solana Beach, CA 92075; (619) 793-9606.
- Tardive Dyskinesia/Tardive Dystonia National Association,
- Attn: Sonja Kjaer, Director, PO Box 45732, Seattle, WA 98145-0732; (206) 522-3166
Disclaimer: Material found on the Successful Schizophrenia website is for your information only. We are not able dispense specific advice for your situation. If you are under a doctor's care, you should talk with him or her about your mental health goals and if they are not on the same page as you, ask for a referral to a doctor or counselor who is. It may mean interviewing several. If you are on your own, you may wish to contact your local county mental health department to ask for local resources. Our site exists to show people that there are all varieties of mental states and assessments of those states; that sometimes 'mental health' is in the eye of the beholder; and that the mental health profession needs to continue to open itself up to the new paradigm ... progress is being made!
© 1995-2009 Successful Schizophrenia